Tuesday 29 November 2016

Why I thought Hypnobirthing was complete Bullshit

There are many things in my daily life that I like to do outside of the box but when it came to being a first time mum I wanted to make sure I was doing everything the 'right' way. Healthy eating, vitamins, exercise.

When someone suggested taking a Hypnobirthing class I dismissed it as total nonsense. I'm the first to admit that the name it's acquired does it no favours. Many people confuse it as some kind of hippy fad or stage hypnosis. Let's face it who wants to run around like a chicken when they're pregnant! I was happy just to bury my head in the sand about birth and imagine my baby arriving by stork all neatly dressed and wrapped in a blanket.



As cynical as I was it couldn't be further from the truth. It is actually a very scientific and logical approach to birth based on research. Hypnobirthing only uses self hypnosis and you will always be in control. I am a complete convert and I cannot believe the difference it has made to my own births and to my life. It pisses me off when I tell people that i'm a Hypnobirthing practitioner. They usually dismiss it straight away and although some of the reactions are priceless I think that women are ultimately being done a disservice in the way we currently think about our antenatal education.

Its all well and good learning the stages of labour and doing tours of the hospital but it could be so much more. Hypnobirthing teaches how to navigate our births confidently & calmly with the essential knowledge of how our bodies birth and most importantly that your voice matters. That you call the shots on your birth. You are enough & you are 'Allowed' to do it your way.

So if you think its not your thang perhaps give it another thought. You might end up an addict like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment